Sunday, October 23, 2016

Publishing 1: Print Media - Project 2

Week 3 – Week 8 
David Ho Ming Aun (0328394)
Publishing 1: Print Media
Project 2: Information Booklet: The Age of Vikings by James Hodgson

Brief
This was the brief provided by the lecturer.

Figure 1: Project 2 Brief


Design Development

I began by setting up the provided grid in InDesign, followed by reading the body content. I then experimented with typeface combinations and decided on Uncial Antiqua for the headings and Adobe Garamond Pro for the body.
Figure 2: Typeface Tests

This is a test print of the typefaces. Shown are Adobe Garamond Pro and Optima. While Optima looked good on the computer screen, Adobe Garamond Pro looked much better and easier to read once printed.

Figure 3: Early Layout Draft

This is a very early draft of a page. Here is the first instance I used the wavy lines as a graphic element, and I have also explored the usage of those lines in a circle as well.


Figure 4: Graphic Elements Experimentation
Here I experiment with different ways I can portray the header with some graphic element. I soon realised that without seeing the header in context, it is difficult for me to rigidly (as well as blindly) set a graphic element to the header.

I went through many versions of the initial document, which I have unfortunately not been able to document to its entirety. The following versions are conceived during the later stages of the project.


Figure 5: Version 1 of Project 2
In Version 1 most of the page elements have been set, but issues pertaining to flow, alignment and white space persisted. 


Figure 6: Version 2 of Project 2

In Version 2, I added a textured blue background to create more visual cohesion across the pages. I've also moved some pictures around and added some elements to page 11.

At this point I began to work on the front cover, coming up with several drafts which are the following:
Figure 7: Front Cover Draft 1
Figure 8: Front Cover Draft 2
Figure 9: Front Cover Draft 3
Figure 10: Front Cover Draft 3 Red

I chose cover draft 3 in blue as it best reflects the tone I have set for the booklet. 


Figure 11: Version 3 of Project 3
Version 3 introduces the final cover and tweaks some issues with page balance. Changes can be seen on pages 8, 11, 12, 13.

I printed a black and white mockup of version 3 and consulted my lecturer. I also noticed that the texture could be a bit too overpowering, so I lightened that. I also tweaked the alignment on pages 12 and 13, and the colours on the front cover.


Project 2 Final Outcome:


Figure 12: Final Outcome Project 2

Reflection


1. What was your main DESIGN DIRECTION?

My design direction for this project was to create a "hardworking" booklet that contained a good amount of information but yet stay interesting enough so that the reader will not tire. I also wanted to explore how different arrangements of elements could provide variety to the pages, but yet stay unified.

2. What was your main AIM in resolving this project?

I aimed to find solutions to the problem given in an elegant way. I wanted to find out how pages can be so varied but yet maintain the same overall feel of the book. I think that this booklet does answer the brief effectively as it has all the information (and more) contained in an interesting manner with a relatively strong sense of design unity.

3. What were the tangible, measurable OUTCOMES that you achieved?

In the final outcome, I think this booklet is successful in laying out all the information in a variety of ways to maintain visual interest. I ensured that there is at least one etched-out image on each spread in order to break the monotony of rectangular chunks of information. The textures, colours and footers allow for consistent design unity and flavour throughout the pages. An area to work on is to tighten up some areas of white space, evident on page 10's bottom right. I enjoyed working on the cover, using the viking shields to represent different clans of vikings instead of just using an image of a burly viking man. Using the wavy line pattern helped further reinforce the visual style of the booklet.

4. What were your OBSERVATIONS?

I observed that my initial design concept changed as I started to place elements into the pages. I was forced to juggle between my initial design style and the functionality of it, trying to maintain creativity within this functional project. I observe that sometimes working from the details up can be a fresh approach to developing a page and subsequently, a book. This was what I did, developing the wavy line pattern from the beginning and working from there. The hardest part of the project was once again, the initial process where I was forced to explore different variants without a very clear sense of direction yet. It's almost like running around blind, trying little things here and there until something clicks. However I thoroughly enjoyed tuning the fine details: the spacings, the distances, the page numbers and so on.

5. Carry out some REFLECTIONS.

I think I am quite proud of how this project turned out and it has exceeded my initial expectations for this project. It felt extremely satisfying to have it printed out and to be able to hold your work in your own hands and see how it works in the real life. I've learnt a lot about how spreads work in a magazine format. I'm usually not comfortable in cramming too many elements into one page (or spread), but this project has shown me that it is possible to do it elegantly without it looking too cluttered. I admit I did not venture onto too risky a tangent, I was just trying to keep things safe within the usual boundaries to get a feel of how to make a booklet of this sort. What I should consider in the next project is the pacing of the pages, in the sense that not every page needs to be packed with information, and there needs to be some pages that help ease the readers in slowly.



Image Sources
Figure 1 – 13 : Personal Documentation

No comments:

Post a Comment

Entertainment Design - Week 9,10