Sunday, November 13, 2016

Advertising Week 9

25.10.2016 (Week 9)
David Ho Ming Aun (0328394)
Advertising Principles and Practice
Project 3 Progress


Instructions:
Final Project: Advertising Campaign (part 2): Art Direction
Final Project & Portfolio 40%


The Brief
Advertising Campaign (Part 2): Art Direction

Duration of Assignment
5 Weeks (Briefing on Week 8)

DEADLINE
Week 13 (21 Nov 2016)

Description
The student now has the task of developing an Advertising Campaign – a total of 5 ads across different/same media – for the Playsafe Condom Brand, and its Air Ultra Thin product. Utilising the insights researched (Project 2), the ideas developed (Project 1), and the determined media strategy (Project 3), execute a well art directed, crafted, creative advertising campaign that maintains the mood, tone and most importantly conveys the ad message (USP/SMP) consistently throughout the different/same media. Create an advertising campaign that is on message, on target and makes a lasting impact visually and emotionally.

In part 2 of the advertising campaign, the focus is on the students ability to translate the creative idea into concepts that are well art directed and crafted ad. campaign, taking into consideration the target audience, media and the socio-cultural factors.

The brand: Playsafe Condoms

The product: Air Ultra Thin (See figure 1.)
SMP/USP: Extremely thin condom for extra sensitivity

Target Audience: Gen Y.

Requirements
The student must document their progress in their eportfolio and the A4 hardcopy portfolio. The final results must be printed out for the A4 hardcopy portfolio, and the Adobe PDF and JPEGs of the final artworks must be uploaded to your eportfolio. Ensure all aspects of your journey in this process is documented – failures, successes, epiphanies, sketches, visual research, etc.

Submission

All gathered information (failures, successes, epiphanies, sketches, visual research, etc.) documented chronologically in the A4 Clear Sheet folder. The works must be labelled and dated.
All gathered information (failures, successes, epiphanies, sketches, visual research, screen grabs, websites, images, etc.) documented chronologically in the eportfolio for every week, for the duration of the project.
A3 print outs of the individual ads from the campaign and simulated print outs of what it would look like in its actual setting.

Objectives
To develop students ability to ideate effectively.
To develop students ability to synthesise knowledge.
To develop students ability to gain and utilise insight for effective advertising
To develop students ability to create and execute an effective ad. message.
To develop students ability to determine a media mix based on analysis.



Project 3:

Based on my idea sketches in the past weeks, I tried to digitise them roughly to see how they would actually look like with right angled straight lines.

Figure 1
Here I tried to imagine it with some colours. The greens are taken from the packaging of the Playsafe condom.
Figure 2
 I also tried out using different patterns and effects, such as Bloat or Twirl, etc. 

Figure 3
Figure 4


Figure 5

Figure 6
I also tried using overlapping concentric circles to subtly highlight the border between the condom and the background.

Figure 7

Figure 8

Figure 9
For this one I tried a different effect in Photoshop. I just watched Doctor Strange, you see.

Figure 10
Here is a rough ambient mock up that I could utilise in my campaign.

Figure 11
I want to find that balance between being too blatantly obvious and too hard to see, so I will try and narrow down some suitable ones.


Feedback:
Specific Feedback
The lecturer said that it's looking promising and I should keep at it. He mentioned how the ad in Figure 10 could be used for a secondary wave of advertisements. He said the ambient in Figure 11 is suitable and doable. 


Reflection:
Experience
It felt rather awkward in class at first as there was no lecture as we have finished our lecturing sessions. I felt pretty bad because I hadn't come up with sufficient progress on the condom advertisements. However, I do appreciate whatever feedback my lecturer is able to provide me.

Observation
I observe myself putting this at a lower priority than my other projects, as this project has the impression of being able to be completed very quickly. However, I recognize that putting no work into the projects would only delay the project. Working with all these patterns is extremely tiring on the eyes.

Findings
I find that I need to pick up my pace and focus on this project more. I should take breaks from staring at the screen for so long.


Picture Credits
  • Figure 1 – 11 — Personal Documentation

No comments:

Post a Comment

Entertainment Design - Week 9,10