Saturday, October 22, 2016

Publishing 1: Print Media - Exercise 1, 2 and 3

Week 1 – Week 3 (29.08.16 – 15.09.16)
David Ho Ming Aun (0328394)
Publishing 1: Print Media
Exercise 1, 2 and 3

Brief
This was the brief provided by the lecturer.

Figure 1: Exercises 1, 2 and 3 Brief

Design Development


I initially began with using this etched-out image to work with, but I realised it was quite inhibiting as two of the sides are cut. Do take note that the grey borders are added to provide the distinction between the pages.



Figure 2: Initial drafts for Exercise 1

Having realised how the picture was not appropriate, I changed it and carried out the exercises 1, 2 and 3 in that order. Do note that I have done more than ten as per requested in the brief for each exercise, in order to explore more potential ways of arranging the elements in a balanced and interesting way. 

Exercises Final Outcome
Figure 3: Final outcome of the exercises. Click to enlarge!


Reflection

1. What was your main DESIGN DIRECTION?

I did not have a specific design direction in these exercises as I was encouraged to be open and explore possible permutations of layout variations.     

2. What was your main AIM in resolving this project?

My aim was to attempt to create as many variations of layouts within the constraints of the content (etched-out image, title, body copy, squared-off image) while examining how I can express each layout creatively and distinctly.

3. What were the tangible, measurable OUTCOMES that you achieved?

My outcomes were the layouts. I have noticed that many of the layouts on which the lecturer left positive comments were the ones that had a form of alignment, in which each element somehow relates to another element in a cohesive manner while maintaining a sufficient amount of white space.

4. What were your OBSERVATIONS?

I observe that I was initially able to churn out many layouts quickly, but that drive gradually waned as it went on. I did not expect much learning from this exercise and just focused on playing around with the elements. The hardest part of these exercises is also the best part: the constraint of the content. We are provided with a fixed content, and our job is to play around with the layout to create interesting pages. This proved to be difficult because sometimes the nature of the content did not facilitate the design concepts I had, but at the same time by imposing limitations on the content it allows them to act as anchors to build my designs upon.

5. Carry out some REFLECTIONS.

I've learnt that I am able to produce a vast amount of layouts given the right motivation (the deadline). I've learnt to be more sensitive to the layouts, especially the alignment and relationship between the elements. I did not really take a lot of risks in this exercise, but I have produced layouts that are quite distinct from each other in terms of the emphasis. In future assignments, I hope to explore more in a double-page setting, colours and the use of other elements to create interesting spreads. 

Image Sources
Figure 1 – 3: Personal Documentation

No comments:

Post a Comment

Entertainment Design - Week 9,10