Monday, May 8, 2017

Publishing 2: Mass Communication - Exercises



Week 1 – Week 9
David Ho Ming Aun (0328394)
Publishing 2: Mass Communication
Exercises 

Instructions:

Exercises Individual Work (20%) 

The Brief
Exercises.

Duration of Assignment
8 Weeks (Briefing on Week 1)

DEADLINE
Week 9 (22 May 2017)

Description
Throughout the beginning and the middle of the semester, exercises will be prescribed at various phases of the module. These exercises will aid and benefit you in your quest to gain theoretical and practical knowledge in book design that will inform you whilst completing various phases of the modules projects.
All exercises prescribed are to be completed and documented (labelled, clean, clear & concise) in your ePortfolio and Hardcopy portfolio respectively.
The exercises are as follows:
  1. 1)  Text formatting 
  2. 2)  Mock-up making 
  3. 3)  Signature folding systems (8+8=16) 
  4. 4)  Classical Grid structure 
  5. 5)  Form & Movement Exercises (Thumbnail) • 1 Colour 
    • 2 Colour
    • 2 Colours + Image
    • Colour + Image + Text
Requirements
To complete and to showcase mastery in the exercises prescribed in its various forms over the 13-week period. This process is repeated for all 8 weeks. The work is compiled logically and chronologically in an A3 clear sheet folder and documented on the students’ eportfolio.

Submission
  1. Exercises to be documented in an A4 Clear Sheet folder, logically and chronologically. The works must be labelled and dated. 
  2. Eportfolio posts at the end of the assessment task labelled and dated, with images captured well and in good light in so that the works are pleasing to the eye and legible. 
Objectives
  1. To develop students theoretical understanding via practical means. 
  2. To develop students practical skills. 
  3. To develop students sense in the use of space. 
  4. To develop students ability to arrange different elements attractively within a grid system. 
Exercises:

In-Class Exercise 1: Format
We were required to bring sheets of A3 paper and then determine a size for our books. We were to identify 3 different sizes and choose one to be used for the final product. These are the page sizes I decided upon:

I chose this one because it's thin and tall, like me. We were then required to fold 16 sheets of that paper and create an actual-size stapler-bound mockup. It was very fun because we got to use our hands to actually cut the paper and use the stapler guns — such hands-on activities have been lacking from my previous semesters so this was very welcome.


Figure 1: Three formats for Exercise 1. Ruler for scale.


Figure 2: Chosen format of 150mm x 245mm. Pictured is a staple-bound 32-page mockup.





In-Class Exercise 2: Van der Graaf Grids, Signature Folding, Grid Identification
We were first required to construct a Van der Graaf Grid on an A3 paper. Then we were asked to do it digitally in InDesign based on the page format we decided on last week. 


Figure 3: Van De Graaf Grid on an A4 spread. Colours edited to show the grid clearer.
Figure 4: Van De Graaf Grid in my chosen format of 150mm x 245mm, using InDesign.


Then we were quickly taken through the concept of signature foldings and tried our hand at making one. Simple concept, but helps me understand how books work.



Figure 5: Signature sheet (left) and staple-bound A6 signature.

Then we were required to go to the library and find 3 spreads we liked, photocopy them, and identify the underlying grid structure to the best we can. I found four (for safe measure) and had a go at them.


Figure 6: A spread from the Information Design Handbook. It becomes apparent that a form of modular grid system is used.


Figure 7: Poor photocopying makes grid identification difficult. Lesson learnt.


Figure 8: Do note that this is from a Sagmeister book. 


Figure 9: A spread from How to be a Graphic Designer Without Losing Your Soul.
It's like word search, but on steroids.

In-Class Exercise 3: Coptic Stich Binding


We followed a tutorial to perform a Coptic stitch bind on some A5-sized signatures and mounting boards. I enjoyed this activity and my bound book turned out quite okay, despite some beginner's mistakes. Points to consider if I ever do this again is to use a thinner thread as a thicker thread would make the binding a bit too bulky, and also not to pull too hard so that I don't tear through any holes.


Figure 10: Coptic-stiched A6 notebook


Figure 11: Close-up of the stitching. Note the addition of masking tape to mend torn holes.

In-Class Exercise 4: Form and Movement 1

We were required to use a grid of our own setting on the predetermined page format, and use simple forms to convey a sense of movement and consistency without being too predictable. My lecturer claims this will allow the subconscious to grapple the concepts of establishing flow and movement within a grid. The class was just as confused as I was, but here are my results:

Figure 12: Form and Movement Exercise

Figure 13: Form and Movement Exercise

In-Class Exercise 5: Form and Movement 2
A similar process to the previous exercise, but this time with two colours.

Figure 14: Form and Movement Exercise (Two Colours)


Figure 15: Form and Movement Exercise (Two Colours)
Feedback: 
[Refer the weekly feedback in Week 1's blog post.]


Reflection
Experience
I found the exercises very enjoyable and I'm glad to be able to use my hands to do some crafting. The signature mockups were fun, but I can't help but think of the environmental aspect of it: is the learning that comes from using this amount of paper justifiable? But then again, the whole process of making books consumes a lot of paper, I'm just curious if there are approaches to reduce paper usage throughout the process in general. Who knows, maybe future technologies will change things up. The coptic stich binding was interesting and quite fun. The form and movement exercise was peculiar for me! I felt like noone in the class knew what they were doing, and I am of a similar stance. I understand the aspect of training the students' flow and variation within a confined grid system, but I'm not sure if this is a good way. Nevertheless, that was interesting.


Observation
I notice myself being very cautious when I'm doing hands-on work, double-checking and re-checking. It's like I have trust issues with my eyes, especially when drawing lines. Perhaps this is reflective of my character? Self-doubts and a manic desire to ensure lines are straight and cuts are perfect? I admit it is useful in certain areas, but not too much. I notice my classmates enjoying the hands-on work very much! Could be frustrating for some who aren't able to keep up with the learning of new concepts (like the coptic stitch bind), but I think it's very rewarding.
Findings
As mentioned in the above, I find myself being a bit too cautious to commit to a line or a cut. I find that the exercises part is very well varied and provides a rich variety to the class, a good breather from working solely on our book.


Image Sources:
Figure 1 – 15: Personal Documentation




No comments:

Post a Comment

Entertainment Design - Week 9,10